Out of State Graduates
Requirements (2 items):
1) Enrolled within the past 5 years AND
2) Have completed the minimum hours in an approved cosmetic art school. The required minimum hours are as follows:
- Cosmetologist: 1500 hours
- Apprentice: 1200 hours
- Esthetician: 600 hours
- Manicurist: 300 hours
- Natural Hair Care Specialist: 300 hours
If you meet the requirements above:
1) Have your school or licensing agency send a transcript to the NC Board using one of the methods provided below. The transcript MUST include your enrollment date, graduation date and total hours.
NC Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners
121 Edinburgh South Drive, Suite 209
Cary, NC 27511
2) To determine if your certification has been received, email your name and state to firstname.lastname@example.org. An application will be returned to you via email.
If you DO NOT meet the requirements above, you may become licensed in North Carolina by either:
1) Obtain a license in the state where you attended school and then complete the license transfer procedures. Click here for information on transferring a license to North Carolina. OR
2) Attend a North Carolina school to complete the required curriculum. A list of licensed North Carolina schools can be found here.