Individuals Licensed in another State
Requirements (2 items):
- Hold a current license in good standing (disciplinary actions)
- Be licensed in a state that offers reciprocity to North Carolina (Registrations and certificates are not accepted. Reciprocity cannot be granted for registrations or certificates.)
How to Transfer:
If you are licensed in Alabama, Arkansas, D.C., Florida*, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Mississippi**, New Hampshire, New York, Oklahoma**, Pennsylvania, Texas**, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin; or West Virginia:
- Have your state licensing agency send a certification via email or mail to:
Mail: NC Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners
121 Edinburgh Dr S, Suite 209 Cary, NC 27511
We do not accept fax submissions. Certifications are held on file for either 90 days or until the date of expiration, whichever comes first.
To determine if your certification has been received please email your name, state, and license number to firstname.lastname@example.org. After completing this verification process you can apply.
If you are licensed in Alaska***, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri**, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey**, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio****, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina**, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, US Virgin Islands, or Wyoming no certification is required simply submit the application online or by mail:
$35 – Apprentice, Esthetician, Manicurist, Natural Hair Care and Teacher licenses
$64 – Cosmetologist license
All submitted payments are non-refundable.
Other Important Information:
- Many states issue a registration or certificate for cosmetic art disciplines. Registrations and certificates cannot be reciprocated to North Carolina. To reciprocate you must hold a current, valid license.
- Military applicant please read rule 21 NCAC 14A. 0401.
- *Reciprocity cannot be granted for hair braiders, full specialists, manicurist or estheticians in the state of Florida.
- **Reciprocity cannot be granted for hair braiders in the state of Texas, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, Oklahoma, or South Carolina.
- ***Reciprocity cannot be granted for manicurist in the state of Alaska, although advanced manicurist are accepted.
- ****Reciprocity cannot be granted to hair braiders or boutique services in the state of Ohio.
- Teacher's licenses cannot be obtained without first holding a current license for practice in the corresponding discipline. Ex: Only NC licensed cosmetologists may obtain a NC cosmetology teacher's license.